|Reports To:||Sales Gallery Manager and Education and Studio Program Head|
|Hours:||26 – 32 hours per week on average, part-time on an occasionally flexible schedule|
|Preferred Start Date:||September 18, 2013|
Applications accepted immediately.
This is a part-time, hourly position that provides retail and NCC
course registration assistance in Northern Clay Center’s Sales Gallery.
When working in the Sales Gallery, this person serves as the primary
receptionist for the Center, including responding to questions about NCC
programs and registering students. The position reports directly to
the Sales Gallery Manager, and supports other work of the Manager and
the Education and Studio Program Head, including various special events
planning. The schedule for the position will include Tuesday through
Saturday shifts and occasional weekends, with other times as needed.
Customer Service/Front Desk at Northern Clay Center
- Greet the public, orient them to NCC, direct their inquiries to the correct program staff;
- Serve as primary receptionist and registrar, provide general information;
- Maintain the order and communications of front desk (NCC publications, promotions, SGA binder, member lists, etc).
Retail Gallery Duties
- Serve as primary sales clerk and provide customer assistance to shop visitors;
- Manage staging of monthly Featured Artist inventory and other gallery artists in response to shifts and changes in inventory;
- Maintain artist biography cards; annually audit artist bio information;
- Order and maintain shop supplies: stickers, ribbon, bags, tissue,
boxes, magazines, etc.; track spending and report to Manager support
- Maintaining the physical gallery through cleaning, staging, and various preparatory work;
- Manage Inventory: regularly conduct physical inventories,
anticipate and communicate needs to Manager, check work out of
inventory, track inventory with artists;
- Pack and ship online orders, support Manager in developing online gallery presence;
- Track trends in ceramics (view artist websites, peer galleries, events online and local, magazines, etc.
Education Program Support
- Serve as primary registrar. Process class and workshop
registrations, maintain online class listings, create class rosters,
process refunds and cancelations, initiate new memberships, and enforce
NCC registration policies in conjunction with the Education and Studio
- Track inventory and order tools to coincide with classes.
Special Event Support
- Support Gallery Manager in directing gallery volunteers and interns;
- Participate in annual selection of American Pottery Festival artists.
- Work with Exhibitions and Gallery Managers to manage various
exhibition tasks, including price lists, inventory of work, and
assistance with install and de-install as necessary;
- Provide information on current and upcoming exhibitions to visitors;
- Provide customer assistance; sell work from the current exhibition;
- Support front desk during exhibition openings (6 – 8 times/year).
Other tasks as assigned
- have a college degree, preferably a BFA or MFA in ceramics;
- have at least two years of demonstrated successful experience and skills in retail;
- have excellent oral communication skills and be comfortable
responding to and working with a variety of individuals with diverse
abilities and interests;
- have strong writing skills;
- be able to carry out assigned projects to their completion;
- be able to anticipate and initiate;
- demonstrate great attention to detail, tracking, and follow up;
- be proficient on Mac platform and have a working knowledge of Word, Excel, and web-based applications;
- be able to lift and move up to 50 pounds.
Experience in and/or knowledge of ceramics is required.
Please send a cover letter describing interests and experience, a
résumé, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three
professional references to:
Karen McPherson, Sales Gallery and Special Events Manager
Northern Clay Center is an equal opportunity employer.